“Can we give you a shot list” ” Can we see your shot list?”
There are a few key reasons why you don’t need to give your photographer a shot list. In fact, you will love your photos even more if you don’t. Here’s why:
- Wedding photography is about artistically documenting your day. I like to be super observant and document everything that’s going on. If I am constantly referring back to a shot list, I may miss moments that will be even more special because they will be authentically yours. I want to capture every moment as it unfolds and not be distracted by a list.
- Every wedding has different circumstances surrounding it to make it unique. If I get a shot list that says “photo of my mom giving me a kiss after reading a prayer,” I can’t guarantee that will happen or even be able to recreate it after the fact. Then, you might feel bummed when you don’t see it in your gallery (because spoiler alert, you most likely will black out from nerves/excitement and not remember your ceremony lol).
- I want to capture real memories, not create them. If I’m busy checking things off a list and creating unauthentic moments, we will miss or prevent those organic, candid moments from happening.
- Pinterest can be your best friend but also your biggest enemy. When someone sends me a photo from pinterest, I notice the location, lighting, the type of couple (are they super into PDA, do they look a little more reserved, are they goofy, or are they more serious, etc.). I don’t ever want to copy photos straight from pinterest because I aim to create photos that end up on pinterest that couples want to copy. 🙂
- Trust us. You have seen our portfolio, read our reviews. We have been trained to be hyper aware and observant and document the day as it is.
There will always be a version of a shot list that lives in my head for every wedding. Things like “bride puts her dress on” and ” bride walking down the aisle” never go undocumented. My goal is to tell your wedding day story from beginning to end! I have been told more times than I can count- “I didn’t even know you were there for that moment!” We are flies on a wall and we get it all. 🙂
The same goes for my associate photographers. I have hired them because they are rockstars at noticing and capturing moments and have trained them to shoot just like me. Trust us, we got you.
***We still love getting a shot list of family groupings that you want photographed! There is a section to fill this all out in a questionnaire that I send to you one month before your wedding!:)
Be the first to comment